President Amanda Persaud, President-elect Sabrina Vizcaino and Faculty Advisor Ricardo Quiles of the East Ridge High School Kiwanis Key Club were the guest speakers at the Kiwanis Club of Clermont on May 2. The two Key Clubbers extended their thanks to the Kiwanis Club of Clermont for its continued support and talked about projects the Key Club completed during the 2016-2017 school year. These service projects included:
- Helped serve food to families at “Give Kids the World,”
- Assisted with the setup and maintenance of booths at the downtown Farmer’s Market
- Mentored Lost Lake Elementary School students through the Barbara Bush Teen Trendsetters Program.
- Visited and interacted with senior citizens at the Clermont Health and Rehab Center.
- Organized a food drive, volunteered at the Special Olympics in Tavares,
- organized “Children’s Day” at the South Lake Animal League, (where children interacted with and learned about animals),
- Aided the Kiwanis Club of Clermont with placing flags on veteran graves,
- Raised money and toy donations for Miranda’s Merry Mission for the fifth consecutive year
- Raised money for the Kiwanis “Eliminate Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus”
Ms. Persaud and Vizcaino spoke about the East Ridge High School’s Key Club winning third place in the Kiwanis Bronze Division Best Single Service Project at DCON for “Boo Bash,” which is a Halloween party at Brookdale Senior Living Center, where they had a photo booth, raffles, games, food, and talked and danced with the seniors.
President-elect Sabrina Vizcaino said, that during the upcoming year, she plans on sponsoring and developing a builder’s club at Windy Hill Middle School; continuing mentoring students and supporting Miranda’s Merry Mission and Every Child A Swimmer; growing their membership and supporting “Bottle Caps of Love,” a charity which raises money from bottle caps to provide wheelchairs for children.
Mr. Ricardo Quiles informed the group that Amanda Persaud, the current Key Club President, is listed as one of the top 25 scholastically in the country.
At the conclusion of their presentation, President Janet Hoskinson presented Sabrina Vizcaino and Amanda Persaud with commemorated Club pins.