Before 1938, the only place that South Lake residents could go to get medical assistance was a one-room clinic located above Clermont City Hall. The clinic was staffed by volunteers. In 1938, a group of civic-minded residents got together and formed the Clermont Welfare League. The mission of the League was to build a clinic to meet the needs for health care service in the South Lake County community.
In 1941, their dream became a reality when the Clermont Welfare Clinic was built. The clinic later evolved into South Lake Memorial Hospital in 1947. The hospital was located between 7th & 8th Street in Downtown Clermont.
Since then, South Lake Hospital has continued to expand its services and community outreach to better serve South Lake residents. In 2000, the hospital moved to a new campus on 1900 Don Wickham Dr. and today boasts a 160-acre health, wellness and education campus providing quality care to the citizens of the South Lake community, having 170 beds and more than 1,500 employees.
South Lake Hospital held a groundbreaking ceremony on Thursday, June 1, to begin construction on Four Corners’ first Freestanding Emergency Department. Just north of US HWY 192 on US HWY 27, the Joe H. & Loretta Scott Health Pavilion will be anchored by a freestanding emergency department staffed by board-certified physicians from Orlando Health South Lake Hospital. The two-story, 40,000 square-foot facility will also offer outpatient imaging services, such as x-rays, CAT scans and MRI, as well as an on-site laboratory and physician offices. Outpatient rehabilitation services will also be offered, allowing residents to schedule physical therapy appointments closer to home.
This will be the third ground breaking ceremony this year. In February, officials broke ground on a similar freestanding emergency department in its northern service area and in March, began construction of a major expansion to the emergency department on its main campus in Clermont.
The 11-acre site was donated by Summer Bay Development and Joe and Loretta Scott as part of the 90-acre Southlake Commons development project. Paul Caldwell, Exploria Resorts president/CEO, described the community of Four Corners, the south gateway of south Lake County, as in need of services and spoke on area development which includes 5 restaurants, a hotel and development of a professional village.
Susan McLean, Chairman of South Lake Hospital Board of Directors proclaimed, “It’s a great day to be the chairman of the Board!”. She went on to say that she was blessed to partner with such wonderful people and to have the opportunity to bring this facility to South Lake County.