Pastfinders of South Lake County Genealogical Society provides free help sessions to aid those interested in tracing their family history through the science of genealogy. Classes, programs, guest speakers and computer aides are offered as resources to help participants discover their heritage. Pastfinders is a nonprofit organization. Meetings and sessions are held at Cooper Memorial Library, Clermont.
- The Daughters of the American Revolutions (DAR) will be available on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Mondays of every month in the Genealogy room on the second floor of Cooper Memorial Library. Two members of DAR will be at the library to answer your questions.
October 16th and the 23rd from 9:30am – noon. Bring a list of the names of your parents, grandparents and great-grandparents if you can.
- How to Climb your Family Tree Classes: Free and open to the public, starting promptly at 10am
November 1 – Basic Genealogy Forms
October 18 and November 15 – Other Research Forms
- Help Sessions: Free and open to the public
Tuesdays: 10:30am – 1pm – October 17, October 24, and November 14,
Thursdays 9:30am -12pm – October 19, October 26, November 2, and November 16
- Computer User Classes: Monthly on the 3rd Wednesday of each month
October 18, November 15 – Room 221 from 1-3pm
- Special one-on-one Help Session
October 14th from 10am – noon, by appointment (352) 404-8164.
- Monthly Meetings are held on the second Thursday of each month from 5-7pm in room 108
October 12 How History Guides our Research. Guest Speaker Eleanor Mandarine presenting, Family: Serendipity or Miracle?
November 9 Digging our answers using many shovels. Guest Speaker Allison Ryall presenting Finding Birth Parents. Topic: Who were the biological parents of Pansy McGee? A Case Sturdy and DNA research.
October is Family History Month
The lobby window at the library will be decorated by the Pastfinders Group in Honor of this event.
- Saturday, October 14 from 10am – 12pm, the Genealogy room at Cooper Memorial Library, Room 204 will be set up to help you scan your photos, slides and film. Bring photos and other treasures to digitize along with a USB for storage.
*THE SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.