Feature Story and Photos by Larry H. Oskin
The Groveland Police, Fire and Public Safety Departments recently launched a series of new outreach initiatives to build better relationships with all residents, businesses, government representatives and the entire community.
Groveland Public Safety Community Outreach emailed all Groveland HOA presidents letting them know that they can provide officers or firefighters at any of the community events to attend or to assist with open presentations. They are also planning to host a series of community events that includes Neighborhood Watch, crime prevention, church protection against threats, fire safety for mobile homes and much more.
Groveland Community Programs:
- Lake David Park features 2 Boat Ramps, 2 Shaded Pavilions a Basketball Court, Playground, a Skate Park and a Volleyball Court. The Groveland Splash Pad is now open for children and families to enjoy at Lake David Park.
- The Next — Groveland’s Second Friday Farmer’s Market will be held June 11th from 5 to 9 PM. It will feature a Karaoke Night. The Groveland Explorers will be handing out awards for the Karaoke. The July 9 and August 13 Farmer’s Market events will feature live music with bands and entertainment.
- A ‘Day in the Life of a Firefighter’ Workshop will be held on Tuesday, June 15th from 6:00 to 8:30 PM at Thrive’s Annual Summer Pop-Up in Groveland at Lake David Park. Visit Thrive: ThriveClermont.org.
- Groveland Blood Drive with a First Responder theme is scheduled for Friday, July 23, at the Public Safety Complex on Highway 50. The Big Red Bus will be there and giving out first responder T-shirts to all who donate.
- Back To School Backpacks: Groveland police officers and firefighters will help stuff backpacks and hand them out during their annual Backpack Giveaway on Saturday, August 7 at Hope International, located at 13806 FL Route 33 in Groveland, FL 34736.
- Groveland Wake Up Wednesdays: Groveland Public Information Officer Sarah Panko notes, “Wake Up Wednesdays is a new initiative hosted by the Groveland Public Safety Community Outreach Team. With Wake Up Wednesdays, we are creating partnerships through community outreach. We are building upon Groveland’s natural charm by bringing Groveland citizens and public safety officials together to get to know each other, build trusting relationships with one another and have opportunities for an open dialogue.” These new quarterly events will be hosted at the Groveland Public Safety Building on Highway 50 where you can personally meet with representatives from the Groveland Police, Fire and Public Safety Departments. Police Chief Shawn Ramsey and Fire Chief Kevin Carroll will be there to meet you with their teams and available to answer all of your questions. Complimentary refreshments will be available. The next Wake Up Wednesday Open House will be held on Wednesday, August 18 from 9 to 10 AM.
Groveland Public Safety Community Outreach Program – Contact Information:
- Groveland Police Department — Sergeant Alicia Menendez: Menendez@groveland-fl.gov
- Groveland Fire Department Division Chief, Life Safety & Community Outreach — Steve Smith: Smith@groveland-fl.gov
- Public Safety — Executive Administrative Assistant Christie Higdon: Higdon@Groveland-fl.gov
- Groveland Public Safety Public Information Manager Sarah Panko: Panko@Groveland-fl.gov
- Groveland Fire Department Community Outreach Coordinator — Lisa Riffle: Riffle@Groveland-fl.gov
For additional information, visit https://www.groveland-fl.gov