1904 - Union Church

History of Groveland Schools 

Since this weekend is the Groveland High School Reunion, we will be sharing some school history.

Around 1870, Simon Brown built his house and started his sugarcane crop along the Palatlakaha River. The community that formed around the river crossing on his land, became known as Brown’s Ford.

In 1896, Simon’s mother, Ellender, was buried on the neighboring land of the Dukes/Daniels family in what became known as Dukes Cemetery north of Graveyard Lake (Lake Catherine).

In 1899, Cassidina (Dukes) Daniels petitioned for a school to be built near the cemetery, likely as it also served as the community’s church. Cassidina nor her husband could read or write, but they wanted their children to have a proper education.

The school year was tailored for the farming communities, as it often lasted for just a few months , so the children could still provide the much needed labor for the family farm. Grades 1-8 were in session for six months.     

1915 – Union School

The school’s first teacher was R. B. Ervin. Ervin was the grandfather of Richard Ervin Jr., Florida’s Attorney General and Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court, and Robert Ervin, a prominent lawyer in Tallahassee. Through Erwin’s influence, one of the Daniels’ sons became a minister and three of their daughters became school teachers. One of the daughters was Groveland’s well known Nellie (Mrs. Fletcher) Smith.

Another teacher was Alva Knight who went on to become Dr. Alva Knight, a prominent Chicago surgeon.

William Jessie Brown, who had taken over the Brown family farm, built the first “bridge” out of fence posts, so the girls living on the north side would be able to cross the river without getting their dresses wet on their way to school.

In 1904, as the community was moving closer to the new Taylorville train stop, Mr. Edge donated land for a new church and school, located at Greenwood Cemetery. It was known as the Union School.     

It was an upgrade from the one room shack, now with several classrooms on the first floor and a large auditorium on the top floor, complete with a stage.

The school boasted two teachers; one teaching grades one through four and the other grades five through eight.

Several faiths, including Methodists, worshipped at the Union Church in alternating Sunday services for 15 years.

This building would serve as the Taylorville and later Groveland school for over a decade.

Previous articlePlanting Knowledge In the Community: Mar 2026 Plants for Cooper Memorial Library And Clermont City Hall